What a trip that we had. It was so fun to see my parents. They are such cute missionaries and really enjoy being there and doing what they do. I was amazed to see my Dad whip out his German and get around and communicate so easily. He really is in his element and it was so fun to see a part of that. And so wonderful to see my mom. I have missed her so much. They loved Porter and he was the perfect age to visit with. He is learning so much and saying so much and waving and smiling and walking around exploring. It was quite refreshing to only keep track of one child, although we did miss Jackson and Adam terribly. It was always wonderful to hear their voices or see them on the computer from across the world. It was so nice to see them again when we came home.
I was there for 10 days and we sort of had two weekends to be able to travel. The first weekend we went down into Bavaria where Dad had spent a lot of his mission. We went to church there and Dad bore his testimony in German. We stayed in a beautiful little place up on a hill in Ruhpolding. I wish we could have stayed there all week and sipped hot chocolate and gone snowshoeing. It was absolutely gorgeous. It was all snowy and I did not think that we would make it up the roads to where we were staying, but we did. Way to go, Dad. We drove through some beautiful mountain roads and watched the breathtaking snowy scenery all around us. It was really fun to visit many places where Dad had been through as a missionary. We went down to Bertesgarten where the eagles nest is (closed in the winter of course) and a huge beautiful lake with mountains all around. We also visited King Ludwig's Herrenchiemsee, which was the last of his castles that I hadn't seen. It was out on an island and it was amazing.
During the week I did some day trips with mom to a city on the Rhine River and a porcelain factory and a beautiful church. Then for the last few days we went due south to two beautiful castles, Hohenzollern and Sigmaringen. We stayed in some rooms that an old German couple were renting out and that was funny and cold. Then we went to a few towns in Switzerland where all the buildings are painted, to a waterfall on the Rhine River, and into Zurich. Then back home to pack.
We are so thankful that we could go and visit and if we get the chance we'll go again. There are still a billion places I would like to see. It was so fun to see my parents and eat yummy yogurt, chocolate, cheeses, bratwurst, sauerkraut, kaiser schmarm, rotkohl, and brotchen. We can't wait to see them home in a few months.
Here is a little taste of our trip:
Rudesheim (a little town along the Rhine which is apparently abandoned after Christmas until it gets warm again)





Beautifully painting buildings and Porter lost his show, but some kind soul chased after us and told us.

Frozen fountain in Zurich
3 comments:
what an awesome adventure Kir! I bet you were SO glad to be with your parents. :)
I finally got the chance to go back and really look at these pictures and read what you wrote. What a wonderful trip! I'm so glad that you got to go. I'm so glad that we got to have Jackson stay with us... too bad he was so sick. Poor kid! That's probably why he slept so much even after he gat home. It was fun for me to see your parents and talk to them too! What wonderful memories.
Looks you and porter had a great time in germany with your mom and dad. I love all those pics!
Post a Comment