Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Apple Recipes

Well, the apples that we bought last week are good, but are not the crisp, tart, delicious apples that I love to eat (from my Dad's apple trees). And seeing as they will not let me bring them here (last fall the border patrol stole all my apples) I guess that I don't get any this fall. So we have been trying some recipes with apples. And I need to get around to making some applesauce and apple pie, but I already know that it ain't  happening this week. 

Well, I found this recipe for sweet cabbage apple salad and it passed the test of everybody eating it and liking it. Even my toughest food critic...Adam. Super simple and even stays crisp if you don't finish it all in one day. We like candied almonds so that is the nut that we used on top. 1/2 cup of almonds chopped and 3 tb sugar in a pan and stir until the sugar is melted. Just be careful not to burn it, because it goes quick. 


And to let you know how adventurous we are we had the missionaries over to have dinner with us and I made a salad with poppyseed dressing. Adam had never tried it and he did and he liked it. So now there are three salad dressings that get the okay from Adam (ranch and spicy peanut are the other ones). So our choices in salads are growing in leaps and bounds.

And Dan reminded me how much I love Janice's recipe for throwing 3-4 chopped apples softened in butter into your favorite recipe for german pancakes. Delicious.

Anything else I should use these apples for or any other good salads that Adam should try?


3 comments:

CJ said...

I emailed a yummy dessert to you. Omit the cinnamon for Adam. I would love to chat with you, and show you live feed of the little one. The foot picture was for Adam! I miss you guys. Thanks for all the great pictures to help me feel like I am not missing everything you do! Super camera, I can't wait to find one of my very own. Can we skype this weekend?

Anonymous said...

wait....the border patrol? where were you? I never even knew there was a border patrol between Utah and California. Good to know...

kirsten said...

coming into california from nevada they stop you and ask if you have any produce. i had totally forgotten and had actually never been stopped. but they took all of my good stuff. bags and bags full.