Wednesday, September 3, 2008

this is it




I think that I have a phobia of going places over Labor Day and/or Memorial Day. I think that it would be fun to go somewhere new, but I am always worried that a gazillion people will be there. So we of course ended up hanging out at home. Which was good. We took a couple more steps on the maps that we have been working on. And they are almost done, hopefully we will finish and have them hung by the end of this week. We ran errands and just enjoyed having Adam home. And he helped  Jackson build this sweet train track.

4 comments:

cindave said...

that IS a sweet train track! what maps are you working on? what are doing with them? i'm curious because dave loves maps.

kirsten said...

I'm putting a map of the U.S. and the world onto sheet metal so it will be magnetic. And then we can track where we've been, where cousins live, where grandma/grandpa are, etc. However this project has been drawn out for over a year finding all the things that we needed. Adam put a frame on it and the sheet metal is so big that it is too flimsy, so now we will put a thin sheet of wood behind. So now, the back of the map is turning into a chalk board and a flannel board. And if all goes well, that will be finished up this weekend. And I will put a picture up if I can.

But the other cool map project I want to do is this:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=14550282
putting maps on blocks. I just need to find a good place to get blocks.

Sarah said...

Kirsten, those blocks are soooo easy to make. You ban buy them at almost any craft stores. They are about a dollar a block. Or at home depot they sell a 2" block of wood that is about 18"long that Adam could just cut into 2X2 blocks. I made a puzzle for my kids with 4X6 picture. You just take some ofyour favorite snapshots, cut them into 2X2 squares and them Mod Poge them on. Brooke LOVES them. They are really easy to make and are super cute!

kirsten said...

Sarah,
Oh, I'm going to post all my hopeful projects so that you can help me.

I have a question about the blocks of wood from home depot - do you then have to sand them if you cut them before you use them. And also mod poge. How do I do that? What is it? Where do I get it?

And today I was looking for a chalkboard eraser and they are hard to find. I could find color chalk but no white chalk.

You just made me so happy, because I'm super excited to do this blocks and I have another project that I want to use pictures. So I"m glad that you know how to do it. Thanks Sarah!